Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Memories

Several years ago my best friend from high school surprised her guests and got married at her engagement party. That was one of the best days of my life.


I was a bridesmaid and we wore little black dresses. (I found mine the day before). The boys wore kilts (it made the photos a bit awkward), the bride had part of her dress made out of curtain material (she couldn't find the right lace) and her grandma made the wedding cake (I took some with me when I left and lived off it for a week).

The night before we had a secret practice for the ceremony, we walked down the aisle to Blower's Daughter, it was sung by one of the boys from the church while he played acoustic g-tair.

On the day we girls got ready at the hotel doing our own hair and makeup. A young man with the name of Zomer picked us up and drove us around to where the photos were being taken and the impulsive trip through the Macca's drive through to get cheeseburgers (and fries for me, I was a vege at the time).

So much laughter happened that day. It felt like such a celebration. I ate food from other people's plates as I wondered around and talked to everyone at the reception. I did feel sadness as my best friend left with her new husband because I knew that I was no longer the first person she would call when she needed to talk.
I used to get sad when things changed. Now I recognize that it's just life.
Here's to change, here's to friends leaving town, people getting married, birthdays, break downs, break ups and reconciliation. Here's to moving forward and living life with all we have, here's to recognizing that without pain our joy lacks depth. Here's to acknowledging the past but getting on with the future. Here's to old friendships that still bring a smile to my face. Friends that no matter how long it's been, the connection is still there and it's not just the pretense of nostalgia.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Welcome to my world. Stay a while. Have some tea with me.

Followers